Thursday 6 February 2014

Be Mine: Valentines Card Inspiration

It's February...and Valentines Day is looming. If you're not in a relationship, it can be a tricky time - either you care too much, or not at all, but either way you have to navigate your way around aisles of cards, cheesy gifts and over-sized chocolate boxes for weeks.

For me, Valentines isn't about gifts. As long as you show your loved one how you feel throughout the rest of the year, all you need is a simple card to show them you care, you've remembered, and that you love / like them. Presents and dates are just a (very lovely!) bonus on this day.  However, I admit, I would much rather spend time and money on others than on myself, so I tend to take on any excuse to buy gifts!

It can be difficult to find the right card, though, especially if you're looking for something unique and heart-felt. So, while I've been hunting online for my own card to give,  I've selected a couple of my favourites for you! I saw these while I was browsing online, and I hope it inspires some of you who may be struggling for inspiration or who just fancy a little snoop.

All card names are linked to the website, so you can go and take a look yourself!




I loved the tartan card as soon as I saw it - it's perfect if you're in love with a Scot, or if you just want something quirky. I also love the simplicity of the heart card from Paperchase; no frills, no flamboyancy, just a simple message. The last one is for the poetry lover - I thought this was so sweet and, again, simple - the next best thing to writing a little verse of your own, and no 'Roses are Red' in sight!





The moon card is just wonderful - perfect, I think, for those not into hearts and cutesy images, but who want to convey their feelings - perhaps perfect if your loved one is a fan of astronomy! The card in the centre is cheerful, bright and fun - and who better to quote than The Beatles, who use the word love over 600 times in their songs! The third card here is so thoughtful. A lot of couples and friendships are based on trust, and the ability to make each other feel better even on the worst day; and this card sums that up perfectly.


Personalised Map (Not on the Highstreet, £9) -- Letterpress (Paperchase, £2) -- Really Like You  (Paperchase £2.50)


Personalising your card is the best way to really show your feelings, and this card does just the trick. It is expensive, and I'm not sure I'd pay this much, but it's a lovely idea and perhaps one to re-create yourself on a budget. The second card here is simple and delicate - I just loved the way it looked, it'd even be nice as a piece of art on a set of shelves. The third is another of my favourites - very gender neutral, quirky and perfect for couples who haven't yet said the L-Word - always a difficult area to navigate on the big V day!


If you're on the hunt for the perfect card, I really recommend the stores used in this blog post. I'm a huge fan of Paperchase all year round, so I knew they'd have plenty of cards to my taste! It might be worth going offline too, especially if you have some independent stores around your area.

I've not done any 'idea' posts before, so I hope this gave you a little inspiration! Sometimes nothing is better than a simple card with 'Will you be my Valentine' etched inside. It really is the thought that counts.


Jo
xxx
 


No comments:

Post a Comment