Monday 9 December 2013

The Christmas Tag


This is my favourite time of year, and not just because of Christmas; cold winter mornings, frost on the grass, the chill on your cheeks and wrapping up in warm layers. But of course...Christmas is an added bonus!

So, to enter into the spirit of things (I have noticed my complete lack of Christmas-themed posts on my blog!) I've decided to take part in The Christmas Tag, which I have stolen from the lovely Cally at Clothes Circus

1) Do you prefer a real or synthetic tree?


I have always grown up with a real tree. My parents are sticklers for the little traditions and I wouldn't change it for the world. Yes, they are a pain to maintain; they shed needles like nobody's business and can die before Christmas has even finished. However, none of this can take away the amazing smell they bring into a room of fresh pine. To me, that's Christmas. We always decorate it just over a week before the big day. Though I always remember the trees being bigger...or maybe I have grown!

However, in my current House, away from Home (I work away from my family home) we have just put up a synthetic tree which looks amazing and won't drop needles on the floor! I love it; it's the perfect size and fits in our living room just right.

This year's synthetic tree at my new house is already up!


2) You're in a coffee shop, it's December, what do you pick?

On any old day of the week, I'll go for a Mocha, or a Chai Latte. A Chai Latte is almost like Christmas in a mug, especially if you get a well-made one! However, for Christmas I have to indulge in the standard Costa or Starbucks specials; I particularly like Costa Coffee's Hot Spiced Apple drink, which makes a lovely change from all of the milk-filled rich drinks and satisfies my sweet tooth! I also like their Black Forrest Hot Chocolate (with cream and syrup, of course!) and Starbucks Orange Hot Chocolate is delicious too, though I aim to try more before the season is out!

My new Christmas favourite courtesy of Costa Coffee



3) What's your favourite colour scheme for decorating the tree?

At home we usually go for plain white lights (warm, not bright white) and a whole host of decorations - many from years ago, heirlooms and new treasures. We feel simple is best.
In my house here, however, our tree is adorned with  multi-coloured lights and gold baubles. It looks stunning and glows brightly! However, if I had to choose, I'd go simple every time. No pinks or purples or holographic fake trees; just golds, reds, greens and silvers.


4) Buying presents or receiving them?

Buying presents for others wins every single time. Of course I like to receive gifts and appreciate everything I get at Christmas and throughout the year.  But nothing beats finding the perfect present and seeing the response on the face of a loved one. Every year I am determined to find something my family and friends will love, and much like that John Leis advert back in 2011, I get more excited about giving than receiving on the day!


5) Mince pies?

Of course! Especially my mum's homemade ones warmed up with cream.


6) What's your traditional Christmas lunch?
Turnkey, sprouts, all kinds of veg, pigs in blankets, lashings of gravy, crispy roast potatoes and cranberry sauce. Delicious. Then we have homemade christmas pudding or rich chocolate yule log (I am not ashamed to say I normally have both!)

Last year's Christmas Dinner (before I went mad with the gravy!)

7) Christmas day fashion
I love making an effort for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day (aside from the year I wore my new onesie all day boxing day after work). I normally wear any new clothes I get given, or something special like a new dress or playsuit. Boxing day calls for comfort, so I'll normally go for something like leggings!

This year I've been told we're all wearing very cheesy Christmas jumpers on the big day, so I have to hunt one down!


8) What's your favourite Christmas song?
 
That's a tough one. I like so many when I'm in a different mood; I love the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York' and 'All I Want for Christmas is You', plus 'Step Into Christmas'. Anything I can sing loudly to. However I am also a big fan of the traditional Christmas Carol, which takes me back to years of performing in Nativity plays and attending carol concerts. 'Once in Royal David's City' has been a favourite since I performed it as a solo for a number of Nativity performances when I was younger, as well as 'Oh Come all Ye Faithful'. It's so hard to choose!

I did find this Coldplay cover of 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' which is just beautiful; I urge you to take a listen, it'll really get you in a Christmassy mood!




9) What's your favourite Christmas film? 
I'd like to put something out there. I've never seen 'Home Alone'. Sorry!
I LOVE 'Elf', 'It's a Wonderful Life' and 'The Polar Express', but my ultimates have to be my childhood favourites, 'The Snowman' and 'Father Christmas'

Here's one of the songs from 'Father Christmas' sung by the late Mel Smith - you can watch the whole film on YouTube! (I can't embed that though, sorry!)




"Happy Bloomin' Christmas!'

 
10) Open presents before or after lunch?
We spread it out. Our main gifts are opened before breakfast; straight out of bed and down to the tree! Then if we see family, we open theirs later in the day. We also keep 'Tree Presents' for later in the evening and on boxing day; these are small tokens, just little extras.

What do YOU do for Christmas? Let me know! Post your links to your Christmas Tag answers so I can read them.

Jo
xxx
 

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I haven't done a tag, maybe I should! :) Good luck with finding a cheesy jumper! Primark do good Christmas Jumpers if you have one nearby! I also love a good Starbucks this time of year. I recently tried the Eggnog Late and it was yummy! :) Great blog now following you :)

    mypinkpyjamas.co.uk
    Holly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely still time to do a tag - and there are so many around! I found the perfect Christmas Jumper which you can see on one of my other posts :) I tried my first Eggnog latte last week and its definitely now one of my favourites.

      Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoy my latest posts!

      Thanks for the link too, definitely going to check your blog out :)

      Jo x

      Delete