Thursday 4 September 2014

So Natural: So Scrubbed Lime & Lemongrass Body Scrub*

How often do you consider what chemicals are in your favourite body wash or face cream? It’s so easy to get swept up in pretty packaging, discounted offers or the next big must-have product - but what about the ingredients? What about animal testing?

After a few months of religiously using my favourite Lush body scrub, I thought it was about time that I tried something new. Keeping to the same routine isn't a bad thing, but it’s always nice when you can find another favourite to add to your bathroom shelf!

So when I was send a few products to sample from the lovely ladies at So Natural, how could I resist? A few weeks ago I was given two brown paper bags containing some very exciting skin treats. So Natural is a newly-formed family-run company who decided to take things into their own hands when ordinary skin products started to irritate their sensitive skin.




Not only am I always keen to support small businesses, I am also becoming more and more aware of what I use on my skin. I am terrible at picking skin products because of their packaging or discounted prices - I very rarely look at the ingredients…and I am ashamed to say I don’t tend to consider whether or not they are cruelty free. It’s definitely something which is overlooked by so many, including myself. Not only do some companies exploit and harm animals to create the perfect lotions and potions, but some chemicals used can still irritate your skin even after testing. I sometimes find myself asking, will we see the effects of some chemicals in a few years’ time? How do we know that anything is really safe to use?

I was sent a number of items - but I've decided to give them each their own little review, starting with the So Natural So Scrubbed Body Scrub. I'd just like to add that although I was sent these products, my review will be completely honest, and all views are my own - of course!




Firstly, let's consider the finer, technical details. So Natural don't test on animals. Their products are free from petrochemicals, parabens, minerals, sulphates (SLS) and methylisothiazolinone (MI). Phew! Not only that, but they are made with raw natural plant extracts. I'd much rather be avoiding those chemicals, thank you very much.

So Natural’s scrub is a good size and reminds me of something I’d buy in The Body Shop or another reputable skincare firm. It’s very pretty, with their recognisable branding - the white colour also means that it would fit in well with any bathroom, and looks clean, professional and cute. So far, so good - first impressions do count!

As with all skincare, however, it’s what’s inside which counts. The body scrub smells heavenly as soon as the lid is lifted- very zesty and zingy, perfect for a wake-me-up shower or a much-needed soak in the bath. As soon as I opened the pot I could also tell that it was natural, just from the look and feel of the product. The salt scrub is steeped in delicious-smelling oils, with small pieces of lemongrass hidden here and there; it’s not creamy, or over processed. I’ve used this product so many times now, and each time I do have to swirl the contents a little to mix them back up, as the salt sinks to the bottom. I much prefer this, however, as it reminds me that what I’m putting on my skin is good and simple - no hidden nasties!




And, my goodness, it smells divine.  This scrub contains lime and lemongrass which is well known for it's stimulation, and, as their handy leaflet reminded me, are great for relaxing muscles and improving circulation. Not only, then, do the ingredients treat your skin with kindness, but it benefits the rest of your body too.

It reminds me of some of my favourite citrus body products, but without the synthetic ingredients; a refreshing scent which isn't’t overpowering or synthetically fragranced. It leaves my skin feeling incredible too. Unlike some scrubs, it doesn't foam, but instead nourishes you with the oil. A little goes a long way too, which is always a bonus, and means that I can scrub myself from head to toe in a matter of minutes. I was warned by the company not to use it on the soles of my feet because of the slippery oil - which isn’t something I usually do anyway! - but it leaves every inch of me feeling smoothed and refreshed. It’s particularly good before a leg-shaving session, ladies!

Do I have any problems with the scrub? Honestly, none that I can think of...other than the fact that I would like more in the tub, so I could use it for longer! It’s certainly on the same level as the major brands I usually turn to, with the added bonuses of being kind to sensitive skin and cruelty free, so although the price is, admittedly, a little higher than my usual budget, there's a very good reason (and it's worth it).




I really, really love the fact that I don’t have to moisturise after my shower if I use it. Sometimes, especially before work, there’s just not enough time to stand and slather yourself in creams after a wash. When I use this scrub, the oils mean that my skin is incredibly soft and smooth with half the effort, which saves me a lot of time. I also love the roughness of the salt - it’s not abrasive, but you can definitely feel it working it’s magic. I like my scrubs to actually scrub, instead of lightly tickling my skin. This definitely does the job!

I have been using this scrub regularly ever since I received it, and it’s certainly up there among my favourite products. I think anyone who is a fan of Lush's body scrubs, like myself, would enjoy using this scrub too. I really like the idea that it’s completely natural - it just goes to show you don’t need to add chemicals to create lovely skin products!

I have to admit, I’m quite lucky when it comes to my skin. Apart from some pretty bad spot trouble in my younger years, and a temperamental scalp, my skin isn't particularly sensitive. However, I nearly always use sensitive skin products, just to ensure it stays that way. The thought of using a product and experiencing a reaction is enough to make me consider softer brands, whether it’s high-street or luxury. 

So Natural’s scrub isn't just for those who suffer from sensitivity and other skin complaints - it’s for anyone who wishes to use cruelty-free, simple, locally-made products, which not only do good, but smell and feel great too. 

*This post reviews products sent to me by the company. However, my views are honest and completely my own.




2 comments:

  1. I have the SO Natural body scrub too, and it's absolutely great and smells gorgeous. Definitely vote for natural every time!

    ReplyDelete